Main content of the website

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A

Transfer Stations

Transfer station

Transfer stations are located throughout Lethbridge County.  View the menu below for information on locations and what materials are accepted.

Call DBS Environmental: 403-328-4833
  • Winter Hours are 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and begin when Daylight Savings Time ends
  • Regular hours resume when Daylight Savings Time begins
  • Hours of operation are subject to change without notice.
  • Click the link to view the Transfer Station map: Lethbridge County Transfer Station Map
Station NamePhone NumberDays Open
Hours of Operation
(403) 345-0340
Tuesday and Wednesday
10:00am - 6:00pm
9:00am - 5:00pm
Iron Springs
(403) 738-4964
Thursday and Friday
10:00am - 6:00pm
9:00am - 5:00pm
(403) 824-3158
Thursday and Friday
10:00am - 6:00pm
9:00am - 5:00pm
Picture Butte
(403) 732-4250
Tuesday and Wednesday
10:00am - 6:00pm
9:00am - 5:00pm

There are transfer stations conveniently located throughout Lethbridge County for disposal of waste and garbage. 

Burning household garbage, silage/bale plastic, and most other items (other than untreated wood and yard waste) is not permitted under Bylaw #22-002 - Fire Bylaw (fines apply).

Please call DBS Environmental for clarification on accepted items: 403-328-4833

Accepted Materials

  • Yard waste, grass, and leaves (compost pile), no non biodegradable bags
  • Household waste
  • Twine (must be in a bag, available at any transfer station)
  • Scrap metal
  • White goods stoves, dryers, fridges, etc. (see fees above) 
  • Wood, waste trees, lumber - max. length 6 feet
  • Tires
  • Florescent tubes (unbroken)
  • Livestock medicine and needles (to be in a sealed container)
  • Household paint
  • Used oil, filters, and oil pails (used oil collection is not to be contaminated by solvents, antifreeze, etc.)
  • Agricultural chemical containers (triple rinsed) tied together - at the Coaldale location only (until end of 2024)
  • Televisions
  • Computers and components
  • Household hazardous waste (compounds must be known)
  • Automotive batteries
  • Ashes must be bagged or boxed

Items must be sorted.

Additional Materials Accepted at Iron Springs Transfer Station

  • Empty grain bags and silage plastic - must be rolled first, however there is a manual baler conveniently available at the transfer station
    • Silage plastic and bale wrap can be picked up monthly at no charge from your farm by Cleanfarms. Call 403-732-5333 to be added to the pick up list.
  • Loads of wood larger than a 1/2 ton load as well as large pieces
  • Large loads of rubble
  • Concrete, stones, construction debris and waste material from building demolition 
  • Fence wire
  • Clean fill

Burning will only take place at the Iron Springs location. Follow the instructions of the Site Supervisor for the proper placement in the designated area. Do not ignite your burnable material - this will be done by the Site Supervisor.

Items NOT accepted at any Transfer Station

  • Large mixed loads
  • Asphalt roofing material
  • Treated lumber
  • Hazardous waste, other than household waste
  • Burning barrels
  • Animal carcasses or spoiled meat
  • Derelict vehicles (can be taken to scrap dealers)
  • Asbestos
  • Grain, straw or hay

Transfer Station Information

  • All sites are supervised.
  • The transfer station operator is required to inspect all waste entering the transfer station and has the right to reject any load that does not meet the above requirements.
  • The operator has the right to request that all loads be sorted and put in the appropriate area. Failure to comply may result in ban from transfer stations.
  • All items received must be able to fit into compactor and be capable of being handled by the person delivering the item.
  • The Lethbridge Regional Landfill will accept most of the NOT accepted items above.  It is recommended that you contact them first 403-329-7367. 
  • Three ton trucks and all tandem truck trailers must go to Lethbridge Regional Landfill and pay the posted fees.
  • When transporting your waste material to the Waste Transfer Stations, have your load properly secured and covered.
  • Your co-operation in the separation of waste material, following instructions of Site Supervisor and signage is greatly appreciated.

Litter Control

Be aware that the Alberta Health Act and the Alberta Litter Act provide severe penalties to those who fail to properly secure loads.

Please call DBS Environmental for current fees: 403-328-4833

Household waste or garbage is growing at a phenomenal rate each year.

It's a major concern for the consumer who creates the waste; municipal and health authorities who have to dispose and control the waste; and the person who wants to protect the environment from pollution.

With encouragement and capital funding from Alberta Environment, the Lethbridge Regional Waste Management Services Commission administers the planning, construction and operations of the Regional Waste Management System.  This authority is composed of representatives from Lethbridge County, the Town of Picture Butte and the Town of Nobleford.

In designing a waste management system, the commission has considered the particular requirements and needs of residents in the areas represented and each of these has been considered in the design of the system.

Need for a Regional Waste Management

  • Elimination of garbage dumps, over the edge coulee type of dumping and the problems that are created by these systems
  • The controlled collection of household waste at area transfer stations which is then moved to a central regional landfill
  • Controlled storage of pesticide containers, metal (not car bodies), tires, rubble and dry fill
  • Control of blowing litter and indiscriminate dumping in ditches and road sides
  • Control of burning at sites
  • Improved handling and control of waste material
  • Promote recycling and composting
  • E-waste and household toxic waste all year round

Lethbridge County has an automated solid waste collection system which includes waste collection carts in the following areas: the hamlets of Fairview, Monarch, Diamond City and Shaughnessy, as well as the subdivisions of Mountain Meadows and Deer Run Estates.

Click the link to view more information on the County's curbside pickup program:

Dumping of waste on public and private property is often an issue in rural areas.  The Alberta Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act states the following in regard to waste dumping:

Waste on public land 

No person shall dispose of waste on public land except

(a)   in a container placed for the purpose of collecting it, or

(b)   in accordance with the Forest and Prairie Protection Act, the regulations under that Act and the regulations under this Act.

(Section 178)

 Waste on land owned by local authority

 No person shall dispose of waste on any land owned or administered by a local authority except

(a)   at a waste management facility that is constructed and operated in accordance with this Act,

(b)   through a refuse disposal system established by a local authority,

(c)   in a container placed for the purpose of collecting waste,

(d)   by burning the waste

(i)   in accordance with a permit, licence or other consent issued by a local authority, or

(ii)   pursuant to an approval or registration under this Act,


(e)   in any other manner specified in the regulations.

(Section 180)

 Waste on another person’s land

No person shall dispose of waste on any land owned by another person unless the owner of that land agrees to the disposal of the waste on the land.

(Section 182)

In short, you may not dump waste on any privately owned land unless you have permission from the landowner, and you may not dump waste on public lands or those owned by a local authority unless it is in a container placed for the purpose of collecting it or a waste management facility/transfer station.  You must follow the rules and regulations of the waste management facility.

Lethbridge County’s Community Peace Officer is authorized to enforce the Alberta Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act.  If you are found to have illegally dumped waste on a public or private property, the CPO has the authority to issue a violation ticket and you will be required to clean the area.

To report illegal dumping in Lethbridge County, contact the Community Peace Officer at (403) 634-0755 or click the link to submit a complaint online: Report a Problem