Main content of the website

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A

Contact Community Peace Officer

* This is not an emergency service and the CPO is not a 911 emergency responder.  In an emergency, call 9-1-1 for the R.C.M.P.

Community Peace Officer
for issues within Lethbridge County only - the CPO does not handle complaints in the City of Lethbridge or other municipalities
Telephone: 403-915-6212

To report a problem electronically, please fill out the form below.

The personal information requested on this form is being collected under the authority of Section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act. The information collected will be used for the purpose for which it was collected.  Lethbridge County staff may contact you for more information regarding your submission.  For further information about the collection and use of this information please contact Lethbridge County by e-mail (click the link to e-mail: Contact FOIP Coordinator) or call (403)328-5525.

What does the CPO do?

The Community Peace Officer is appointed by the Alberta Justice and Solicitor General’s Office and the role is two-fold: education and enforcement.  The Peace Officer raises public awareness on some of the rules and regulations that fall under provincial law and municipal bylaw.  

The CPO is authorized to enforce all County Bylaws and a few Provincial Acts and Regulations including:

  • Traffic Safety Act- speeding, failing to stop at a stop sign, distracted driving, and other moving/non-moving violations under the Act
  • Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act- improper disposal or littering of waste on public or private lands and highways
  • Animal Protection Act- responding to animals that are abandoned or in distress
  • Highways Development and Protection Act

Protection of County infrastructure is a primary focus for our CPO. Overweight commercial vehicles traveling on County roads and over County bridges can cause severe and costly damage to those transportation routes. Our CPO travels with portable scales for on-the-spot verification of commercial vehicle weight checks and will enforce all laws related to weights and measurements, load security, transportation of hazardous materials and commercial vehicle certification.

The CPO works a variety of shift schedules and patrols all areas of Lethbridge County.

Is a CPO the same as the RCMP?

No.  While the CPO enforces some of the same Provincial Regulations as the RCMP (ie. Traffic Safety Act), their  roles and responsibilities are not the same.  The Peace Officer position is not a 911 emergency response position and the officer is not authorized to enforce the Criminal Code.  The Criminal Code includes theft, breaking and entering, firearms offences, etc.

What are the other law enforcement agencies that serve the area?

Other law enforcement agencies serving Lethbridge County include:

  • The Alberta Sheriffs Department- court security, prisoner transportation and other protection services
  • Transport Officers- assist with the enforcement of federal and provincial commercial vehicle statutes
  • Fish and Wildlife Officers- part of the provincial team for environmental protection and conservation

How do I contact the CPO?

A: Call (403) 915-6212 to speak to the Officer, or fill out the form below to report a problem.

The CPO is authorized to enforce all Lethbridge County bylaws.  To view bylaws, please click the link: Bylaws

If the Fire Hazard is high, Lethbridge County may impose a Fire Ban which automatically cancels all issued Fire Permits. Always check our website or the Alberta Fire Bans website ( before you burn to ensure no Fire Ban is in effect.

Burning while a Fire Ban is in place is an offence under Lethbridge County Bylaw #22-002 - Fire Bylaw and subject to fines by the Community Peace Officer.  To report an illegal burn during a Fire Ban, call the CPO at (403) 915-6212  or dial 9-1-1.

Click the link to view:

Lethbridge County has a road network that covers over 2,000 kilometres. As the agricultural industry is the backbone of the local economy, our highways experience a variety of commercial truck traffic ranging from grain, cattle, manure, and gravel haulers. 

It is essential that commercial vehicles abide by the legislated weight limits allotted for their particular unit. Overweight commercial vehicles negatively impact the integrity of the roadway which leads to expensive repairs.  

The County Peace Officer’s patrol vehicle is outfitted with portable weigh scales for weighing commercial vehicles to ensure they are in compliance.  Roadside education on maximum allowable weights and enforcement action are tools used by the CPO to achieve compliance.  

By following weight limits, commercial vehicle drivers can help reduce the County’s road maintenance costs and it also enhances public safety for all motorists on our highways.

Animal Control Complaint Lines


  • Community Peace Officer (for issues within Lethbridge County only - the CPO does not handle complaints in the City of Lethbridge)
    • Phone: 403-915-6212 
    • Email
  • RCMP Complaint Line
    • Phone: 403-732-4429
  • Alberta SPCA

Dog Control Regulations

The four principles under which the Dog Regulation and Control Bylaw has been developed are public safety, needs and enjoyment of dog owners, needs and enjoyment of non-dog owners and effective bylaw enforcement. Please refer to the Dog Regulation and Control Bylaw for more detailed information.

Click the link to view: