Main content of the website

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A

Road Allowances

Lethbridge County has many undeveloped road allowances. 

These may look like part of the agricultural landscape or coulee land but they are public lands - roadways that do not have a road constructed on them. 

Unless the road allowance is licensed to an adjacent landowner, it is public property and may be legally accessed by the public.  Although the road allowance itself may be public, the lands on either side are often privately owned. 

A typical road allowance is 20 meters wide, and any deviation from that area would be considered trespassing on private property.  Before entering onto land, be sure to check that you are not trespassing on someone else's property.  Please also remember that as per Lethbridge County Bylaw #1405, dogs on public property must be on a leash at all times.  Do not allow your dog to enter onto someone else's property or harass livestock.

View our interactive map below to view undeveloped road allowances:

View larger map

An undeveloped road allowance can be identified within two orange lines and when you click on the area in between the lines, a box will appear stating the status of the area:

An example of the box that appears when an area on the map is clicked.  The box details the land location, road name, etc.

Call 403-328-5525
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.