Pioneers settled in the Barons area as far back as 1902 but it wasn’t until the spring of 1909 that the Canadian Pacific Railway bought the present town site of Barons. The station was called Baron, named after a railway official.
Since everyone referred to the businesses in the community as Baron’s bank and store, the name Barons soon evolved.
Barons was incorporated as a municipality in 1910. The new brick school opened in 1912. From these humble beginnings livery stables, hardware stores, a pool hall, three lumberyards and blacksmiths shops all came into the little community over a period of years. The pool hall is now located in Heritage Park in Calgary.
The CPR station played an active part in the growth of the community as did the drilling of the first oil well about eight miles southeast of Barons in 1932.
Barons and the district have been a wheat producing centre and the quality of the grain, produced here have won honors and awards in Chicago, Toronto and Calgary seed fairs.
Barons continues to thrive as an agricultural centre for the area. The community has a population of 341 (2016 Statistics Canada) with solid industrial businesses. It is the home to excellent parks and recreational facilities for everyone to enjoy. Sports have always been very popular with baseball and curling being two of the favorites.
The Barons brick school was turned into the Smallville school for a young Clark Kent during filming of the first movie Superman in 1977.
Located along Highway 3, Barons is just a short distance of 50 km northwest from the City of Lethbridge.
Village of Barons
Ph: (403) 757-3633
Fax: (403) 757-2599