Lethbridge County Economic Development Committee recognized with SouthGrow Economic Excellence Award
LETHBRIDGE- Lethbridge County is pleased to announce our Economic Development Committee is the recipient of the 2017 SouthGrow Award for Excellence in Business Retention, Growth, and Expansion. This award is a reflection of the County’s commitment to economic growth, as well as its support for existing businesses to expand and thrive in the County.
Lethbridge County’s Economic Development Committee (EDC) is supported by the Economic Development Department, which was created in 2013. The role of the EDC is to help shape Council policies directed toward the promotion and enhancement of the overall economic wellbeing and standard of living for Lethbridge County’s citizens and businesses.
Successes of the EDC in its dedication to retain, grow, and expand business in the County include:
- A business visitation program to offer support and assistance (70 visits conducted in 2016)
- Organizing diplomatic visits and twinning projects- most recently the visit from the Anyang, China delegation in 2015 and the reciprocal visit by the EDC in February (the County’s first-ever international delegation trip)
- International trade projects- most significantly participation in the local China B2B initiative
- Assisting with developing a new commercial/industrial land use strategy and regional partnership development
- Working with the Southern Alberta Alternative Energy Partnership (SAAEP)
“We are very proud to receive this award from SouthGrow. It is a reflection of the hard work and dedication the Economic Development Committee has put into ensuring Lethbridge County is an attractive place to do business,” says Reeve Lorne Hickey.
The award will be presented on Thursday, June 15th at the SouthGrow Celebrating Creating Opportunities Regional Recognition Awards.
Mattie Elliott, Communications Coordinator